I am extremely excited to announce the release of our first Android native application. Although we do have a great web application which is enhanced for mobile use for a long time, nothing works quite like a native app on Android and IOS devices.
This application is the first of Native applications we are developing for Android and IOS market. Soon we will also release an IOS native application, followed by other applications with new functionality for both platforms.
To download the Android native app please click here. It is totally free and you can use it in no time.
Task manager for Android
Our very first native app is a robust task management service. Since Binfire’s web application is feature rich, we decided to create multiple native applications on Android and IOS devices. This way each app is small and agile and lets the user use only the functions he or she needs.
Figure # 1 Log in to the App
If you don’t have an account you can create one in the app by clicking on the create a new account link at bottom right of the screen.
When you log in to the app, the first page shows all your projects in a list. Select one of your projects by tapping on it and you are taken to the task manager page for that project.
Figure #2 Project list
In this page, all your tasks are listed. You can create new tasks by tapping on the + icon in bottom right of the screen. Notice tasks which have subtasks have an > to the right of their title. Tasks which have predecessor have a special icon next to their title too.
Figure #4 Add new task
When you tap on a task you go to task’s detail page. Here you can add comments, write task description, attach a file and set a start date and due date.
At top of this page, there is a link (…) which allows you to perform a number of actions on a task. These actions are listed as follow:
- Add subtask – For adding a subtask to a task
- History – Show the history of the task, who created it and all changes since it was cretaed.
- Delete – For deleting the task
- Move – For moving the task to another project
- Copy – For copying the task to another project
Figure #5 Task Control
For more actions on the task, click on the right arrow (->) on the top right of the page. You are taken to a new page with the following links:
- Bugs – For attaching bugs which related to this task
- Tags – For adding tags
- Files – For attaching files to the task
- Followers – For adding followers to a task
- Assigned to – To assign the task to one or more people
- Predecessor – For adding a predecessor to a task
Figure # 6 Task functions
By the way, the task manager supports both tasks and milestones. So you can create milestones and add tasks as the predecessor to that milestone. When all those tasks are completed, the milestone is marked as complete too.
Another important feature in the task manager is time tracking tool. By using the timer on top of the task page you can track the number of hours you spend on any task. The numbers are tallied and are available for creating a report in the web app.
To start tracking time, you need to do two things first. The first thing you need to do is to make sure the task is assigned to you. Second, you need to mark the task to show that you have started working on the task already. There are three buttons at the bottom of the task detail page to indicate the status of each task. These buttons are as follows:
- Start – For marking that you have started working on that task. The text on this button changes to “started” when you tap on it.
- Complete – To show you have finished working on the task, the task is complete now. The text on this button changes to “completed” when you tap on it.
- Approve – After someone checks the tasks and gives approval that the task is completed correctly. The text changes to “approved” when you tap on it.
When you start a task which is assigned to you, the timer becomes active (the color turns to blue from dull gray). When the timer’s color changes to blue you can click on the timer to start recording hours and minutes you have been working on a task. When you finish just tap on the timer again.
One last thing about the task manager, you can assign a task to multiple people unlike other task managers in the market.
Figure # 8 Task is assigned to multiple people
Binfire task manager is a great tool for when you are on the road and need to acess you tasks. We love to hear from you. Please leave a commnet or send us suggestion to email@example.com.